You’ve established your fabulous interior design business and have all the skills it takes to make it a success.
But how do you market it?
Well aside from a good website, social media is the key. And with one billion people scrolling through Instagram every month, it’s a sure-fire way to get some attention.
In fact, Instagram has evolved from a fun photo-sharing app to a major business attraction with more than 85% of all users following at least one brand. So how do you optimise your account and attract millions of followers? Let’s find out.
1. Create an Instagram business account
Set up an Instagram business account dedicated to work only. It goes without saying that posting about your pet fish or an indulgent night out is taboo and will taint your professional image in a hot minute.
Here are some tips on how to elevate your profile – because first impressions certainly count, especially when people are researching your brand, your website and how to connect:
- Make sure your username is in keeping with your business. If you call yourself @party_girl101 and your company name is Plush Interiors, no one’s going to find you let alone want to follow you. Try to include “Interior Designer” in your name to expedite searches.
- Use a relevant profile picture and keep it universal across all social media apps. That will facilitate recognition and show consistency.
- Make sure you use your one link opportunity wisely in the URL field. If you don’t have a website, enter your email address or a link to your portfolio.
- Write a stellar bio. You have 150 characters to tell people about your what’s, how’s and why’s, so get to the point, make it punchy and draw them in. Using emojis and a call to action will help you stand out more.
- Incorporate your contact details – Instagram will automatically add buttons like “Get Directions” and “Email” to your profile, which will help people find you.
2. Have a strategy
When engaging in marketing, always have a solid strategy. And, if your business specialises in something specific, like corner wardrobes for example, make a regular feature of it by showcasing images from your website landing page. Have a look at the one by FCI London for inspiration. In addition, make sure you:
- Know your audience: Research the demographics of who uses Instagram, who buys from you and who follows you on other platforms. A quick way to do this is by employing an Instagram growth service. This will improve your account engagement by helping you identify, your niche market and create posts that target them specifically.
- Outline your goals: Knowing what you want to achieve on Instagram will help you hone in on the type of content you decide to post.
- Plan a content calendar: Diarise important events like the London Design Festival and use these opportunities to promote yourself. Having this ahead of time will allow you to plan posts in advance.
3. Use beautiful, relevant content
See Instagram as an integral part of your interior design business and post accordingly. And not just about your latest projects, but images and captions about what inspires you.
Make sure every photograph is beautifully composed and remember to tag people and places and include the all-important hashtags. Up to 10 per post is optimal – but make sure they’re relevant. Think #designinspiration rather than #bestmilkshake.
Once you have the hang of it, marketing your business will be a cinch. Use these tips and get started today – it’s your first step to success.